Wednesday, January 20, 2016

When a Parent Goes to Jail/Prison: Talking to Children

With the large, over 1.5 million in 2014, population of adults incarcerated in the United States, there cannot be argument that families and children are being impacted. In my work with families over the last 20 years, I had never been asked, "How do I tell my kid I am going to jail?" 

The links and resources below are related to talking to children about a parent's incarceration. 

What to tell children when a parent or family member goes to prison. Should you tell? Who should tell? What could you say? (2 pages that cover the basics)

How to Explain Jails and Prisons to Children (15 page booklet)

Little Children, Big Challenges - Toolkit from Sesame Street for parents, children, & professionals including videos

When Your Grandchild's Parent Is in Prison



No comments:

Post a Comment